First Steps with Bytecode Visualizer
1. Open the Bytecode Visualizer for the first time
Note: You need to do thins in the Navigator View. The Package Explorer View does not show *.class files.
To open the Navigator View, go to
Window > Show View > Navigator
Window > Show View > Other... > General > Navigator
2. Adjust file associations (optional)
There are many situations in which Eclipse opens a *.class file:
CTRL-Clicking into a class / method / field without source code, Stepping Into in Debugger, etc. In such situations, Eclipse is using the default editor for the *.class file type.
Bytecode Visualizer is set as default editor for /*.class files during the installation.
If it does not suit your needs, you probably want to change the File Associations in Preferences:
Window > Preferences > General > Editors > File Associations
Select the file type *.class and set the editor of your choice as Default.
3. Review and adjust preferences
The behavior of Bytecode Visualizer is adjustable in many respects, such as:
- where the control flow graph should be displayed: split pane in the editor or separate view
- displaying/not displaying Line Number Table and Local Variable Table
- rendering/not rendering try/catch blocks
- graph colors
- syntax highlighting
- which Bytecode Editor's tab should be selected by default: Bytecode or Source code (if available)
Just go to
Window > Preferences > Dr. Garbage > Bytecode Visualizer
and change the settings to suit your needs.